RE-POST : My PA 14 (Image Heavy)

Post a picture of your rigged kayak here.

Moderator: Graeme

RE-POST : My PA 14 (Image Heavy)

Postby Colin Molloy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:50 am

(Re-post of original thread lost in the great kaboomf)

12 May 2013

After a strategically planned April 2012 holiday in Pemberton, which deliberately including a day of canoeing on the Warren River, I "convinced" my wife that it would be a good idea to get a couple of kayaks.

I spent months looking at all sorts of kayaks and eventually settled on the Hobie brand, for the ability to propel the craft with your legs/rather paddling - to allow you hands free fishing.

The particular model I selected was the Professional Angler (PA) because of the incredible growing reputation it had as a very stable, well fitted out and incredibly tailorable fishing platform.

Here's an overhead schematic showing the awesome layout:

The PA comes with the incredibly comfortable vantage seating, built in Plano boxes in the foredeck AND under the vantage seat, plenty of room for an esky at the back, voluminousness storage at the bow, built in rod holders and so much more.

This morning, I'll be putting a holding deposit down on two - a PA 14 for me, and a PA 12 for Sandra.

The mounting boards allow for placement of a huge number of items, rod holders, sounders, you name it - especially if you use the Hobie (or similar) geartrac system :

I've been spending ages consulting with a number of online colleagues about all the possible installations, it's going to be fun! The hardest item has been which sounder/gps combo to purchase, the PA comes Lowrence ready, for standard sonar or DI (down imaging) transducers, but the installation of a SI (side imaging transducer would be a second fitti

The Lowrance I was considering was the Lowrance G2 Combo HDS 5, but this would necessitate an external side imaging (SI) unit and (as I said) a second transducer to the stad sonar/DI one.
It does however allow the installation of Navionics Platinum charting (physical display of contours):

In the end, I decided for a Humminbird 798 CXI, which has the side imaging integrated and has a reputation amongst many of the WA yakers as very easy to use:

You can use standard downward sonar was fish fish, DI for displaying structure and SI for structure and surrounding bait and fish schools either side of the hull.

Awesome kit!!

One thing I MAY consider, is turning the vast PA 14 front hatch removable liner into an insulated kill tank as has been done here:

and

The PA's are each almost a metre wide, so roof racking them is not an option. Transport will be via trailer with a tailor made square tubing rig in a H pattern with the top section removable for easier, low lift, side approach loading of the heavier PA on the bottom. One of my website clients is Plantagenet Sheds & Steel, so that shouldn't be an issue.

;D

Yesterday, we moved one step closer by picking up our trailer from Perth - it's a 7 x 4, new road wheels and tyres, jockey wheel, extended draw bar (so the PA 14 overhang will be legal), 12 months rego, LED lights and transfer etc - all for $1350 - and it's made at the Bentley factory - not ordered in from overseas:

:D :D :D Image

13 May 2013

Turns out the Ram transducer mounts are no good - too much water resistance because of the round profile - looking at building one out of flat alli that will slide between a gap in a split spacer placed below the mounting boards and the geartrac.

An alternative (perhaps) is mounting the transducer on the Lowrance ready cover plate.

PA's put on hold - deposit paid.

Sounder purchased.

Wish list sent to my Joe.

:D :D :D :P

15 May 2013

Took Delivery of the sounder/gps combo this morning :

:D :D :D

22 May 2013

Trailer rack is being built ($400 Image - should be ready next week, then it's building the loading pads and painting it.

All going well, we'll pick the yaks and a LOT of gear up on Saturday or Sunday 1/2 June.

:D Image

28 May 2013

Finally took delivery of the "Yak Rack" that will sit on the 7 x 4 trailer - made of 40 mil square welded tubing.

The idea is the rack will sit on top of the trailer.

Rubber feet on the bottom.

The top section sits "inside" (by way of smaller dimension slide in tubing) the bottom section with smaller dimension square tube extending down wards.

This has several advantages.

1) When we transport and load (after fishing) the yaks, we can take off the top section and load the (heavier) PA 14 sideways, without having to load it "through".

2) If if am taking just mine on a solo, then the top section can be removed.

3) They can act independently as supports.

MUCH more coming.

PIC1 - Here's the original "Yak Rack"

PIC 2 - How the top section of the Yak Rack slides in:

PIC 3 - Double Layer Primed - Ready for Painting:

MUCH more to come! :P

01 June 2013

YAY!!! Image

FINALLY! 07:30 departure saw us arrive at Getaway Outdoors Mandurah at 12:03.

Paul started the ball rolling and Joe took over the 3 hour "explanation and acquisition session".

Sandra and I in front of the trailer, rack and yaks (WARNING sunglasses required due to the dark white tanning of my legs Image

And of course one needs to make a start on some accessories (the fire and av unit isn't included) 8-) Image

I've been TOLD that we are going kayak fishing tomorrow - and I'm VERY disappointed about that :o - said no one ever :D

02 June 2013

Mark II

Installed length wise PVC today, tossed and turned last night = considering KISS solutions...

At 4.20 am - decided that double strong zip ties were the way to go with high pressure (therefore thick walled PVC) would work for load bearing across the front and rear spans - wanted no more drilling and nothing impeding the slide at the top.

With the internal diameter of the pipe, had to make sure the zip ties could be manipulated easily:

So went for the "legless centerpide" approach :P

18 June 2013

OK, after working like a beaver on both steroids and speed, I thought it's time to post up some pics on my "gnaw work" and progress to date.

Basically from bow to stern.

A couple of introductory pics first....

[img ]http://www.cmwdclients.com.au/kayak/cfo001.jpg[/img]

INSULATED FRONT HATCH
Found a place that sold insulation sheeting - it's Air Cell Insul Break 65 - and it was quite a challenge to put on, but I'm reasonably happy with the result:

The Inner hatch - two skins applied:

The underneath of the front storage tub:

I found using some test pieces first, that the ideal place to "start" the insulation, is the "lip" about 2 cm down from the curve that rests on the weather seal (hope that makes sense).

Also, to keep the tension of the insulation, I cut a slit in the insulation at the top of each section, then stuck the tape to the insulation, threaded it through and pressed that against the surface of the storage tub.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the ice holds up....

SOUNDER/GPS/TRANSDUCER
I undertook to adopt the "over the side arm approach, using a bit of ally bar, painted. I fitted the same painted ally bar between the 16" geartrac and the mounting boards, with a space as wide as the bar so as to allow the transducer "arm" to slide in and out - easy set up and removal. I destroyed one of my wife's black plastic files to add a double "gasket" layer between the ally bar and the gear track, this allowed easy removal of the transducer arm. The wire between the combo and transducer was held by cable clamps and SS screws at the trailing edge of the transducer bar:

OK, ON TO THE ALL SINGING ALL DANCING STORAGE BOX WITH BOX TO BUCKET ADAPTER :roll: :lol:
This started life as a Yakatak Black Pack:

I wanted extra tackle storage, an anchor bag and that "Box to Bucket" adapter (more on that later):

Side on view of the "BlackPlack +" :D
(the wood will be replaced with alli bar like on the other side - I'd just run out)

Front view of hooks ready for anchor bag - sits between box and vantage seat:

With the anchor bag in situ:

Now that "Box to Bucket adapter:

Here's a close up:

and with the bucket on and bungy/shock cord stay:
[img]http://www.cmwdclients.com.au/kayak/cfo0013.jpg[img]

the interior with lid open stay cord from stern:

Underneath - rubber footed spacer bars, allow box to remain on, with cart trolley deployed:

LAST BUT NOT LEAST - PORT AND STARBOARD ANCHOR TROLLEYS:

25 June 2013

Latest addition is a loading and off loading system for my wife's yellow PA 12 that sits on the top bar.

Sandra's PA 12 weight is 44.45Kg/54.43Kg (Fiited/Rigged) whereas my heavier PA 14 is 49.9/62.6Kg.

Even though lighter, the PA 12, with my aged back, was, we found, still a struggle to lift up to and bring down from the top bars, so here's the loading system.

The "ramp pipes" pull out from the top bars and base, so the whole lot can be pulled apart and dropped into the trailer when not in use:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT FOOTNOTE

You can't get everything right, no matter how much thought you put in and things evolve, I've since removed the boxes on the side of the YakAttack Blackpack as I felt they were just too much (and heavy to carry) and now store gear in side pouches attached to my Vantage seat via Velcro:

Kind Regards

Colin

Olive PA 14

Southern WA Outdoors | Colin Molloy Website Designs | Colin Molloy Website Designs On Facebook | Me On Facebook

KAYAK PBs | Dhui 52cm - Bream 28cm - Skippy 18cm - Herring - 10cm - KG - 24cm - Tailor - 16cm
Colin Molloy
Valued Member

Re: RE-POST : My PA 14 (Image Heavy)

Postby yakfishoholic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 am

Great bit of kit Colin and very well done on the report. Makes me want to buy one. I like the trax for getting the yak up on top.
Does it work well.
Regards Dunc

Prowler13 AKA "The Armada "
Kayak P.B's
P.B Pike 950mm
P.B Pinkie 760mm
P.B Dhuie 480mm
P.B Spanish Flag 370mm
P.B Spotted Mackie 580mm
P.B Leather Jacket 450mm
P.B Skippy 390mm
P.B K.G 470mm
yakfishoholic
Valued Member

Postby Colin Molloy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 am

yakfishoholic wrote:Great bit of kit Colin and very well done on the report. Makes me want to buy one. I like the trax for getting the yak up on top.
Does it work well.

Cheers Dunc :) - Yes, it does, I wanted something cheap, sturdy and collapsible - it sure takes the strain out of lifting it on and off - for loading just rest the front on the cross bar at the bottom and push - I'm going to add a single ratio boat winch on the draw bar with a couple of pulley channels - that will make loading even easier. :D
Kind Regards

Colin

Olive PA 14

Southern WA Outdoors | Colin Molloy Website Designs | Colin Molloy Website Designs On Facebook | Me On Facebook

KAYAK PBs | Dhui 52cm - Bream 28cm - Skippy 18cm - Herring - 10cm - KG - 24cm - Tailor - 16cm
Colin Molloy
Valued Member

Postby yakfishoholic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:50 am

Therer's no doubt that were all budding inventors
Regards Dunc

Prowler13 AKA "The Armada "
Kayak P.B's
P.B Pike 950mm
P.B Pinkie 760mm
P.B Dhuie 480mm
P.B Spanish Flag 370mm
P.B Spotted Mackie 580mm
P.B Leather Jacket 450mm
P.B Skippy 390mm
P.B K.G 470mm
yakfishoholic
Valued Member

Postby Colin Molloy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 am

yakfishoholic wrote:Therer's no doubt that were all budding inventors

Yup Dunc - agreed - as the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention" :D
Kind Regards

Colin

Olive PA 14

Colin Molloy
Valued Member

Postby WDS » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:55 pm

goodness. You have done a comprehensive job there.
WE GLADLY FEAST ON THOSE WHO WOULD SUBDUE US

Mirage 530 (expedition sea kayak)
Ocean Kayak Sprinter (training kayak)
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro (work/fishing kayak)
Hobie Adventure Island (expedition/fishing kayak)
WDS
Veteran

Postby Colin Molloy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm

WDS wrote:goodness. You have done a comprehensive job there.

Thank you Wayne :D
Kind Regards

Colin

Olive PA 14

Colin Molloy
Valued Member

Postby Brendon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Top job Colin you will have to post that in the new forum as well for reference as well as Graeme's PA14 rig post .
Hobie revolution, Hobie Quest , Finn Gizmo
Kayak fishing photos http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69 ... yakfisher/
Hobie Revo rigging
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3216
Brendon
Admin

Postby Colin Molloy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:12 am

Brendon wrote:Top job Colin you will have to post that in the new forum as well for reference as well as Graeme's PA14 rig post .

Cheers Brendon - that'll be a re-re-post :D
Kind Regards

Colin

Olive PA 14

Colin Molloy
Valued Member

Return to Rigged Kayaks